The Town of Scituate bought the land on First Parish Road from the Thorndike and Cudworth families, and the school house opened in 1893 adjacent to the Town Hall on the site of the Gates Intermediate School. The building served as the Town's High School until the central section of what is now the Gates Intermediate School was completed in 1917. The school house building was moved to its present location of 43 Cudworth Road in 1919.
Over the years it has served as an auxiliary classroom building and then as offices for the Scituate schools’ superintendent. The Scituate Historical Society bought the building from the Town of Scituate in 1984 for $1, and it now houses the Society's genealogical and historical library, administrative center, and archives with a central gift shop.