In 1825 the Baptist Society contracted Zeba Cushing to build a meeting house on land purchased by the Society from Nehimiah Curtis. By 1866 the forty-one year old structure could no longer accommodate the Baptist Society’s growing flock, so the Society sold it to Joshua Jenkins of Scituate for $600.
Jenkins converted the former meeting house into a hall, constructing a stage and renting it to social and benevolent groups for meetings and entertainments. In 1875, 120 local veterans who had served in the Civil War formed George W. Perry Post #31 Grand Army of the Republic, and in 1883, purchased the hall from the Jenkins family, renaming it the Grand Army Hall.
For the next 50 years, the Grand Army Hall was the scene for many town gatherings. Patriotic speeches echoed from its walls on Memorial Day, July 4th, and later on Armistic/Veterans Day. Many an old soldier, who had shouldered a musket in Mr. Lincoln’s Army as a young man recounted stories of the mud of old Virginia within its walls. The Women’s Relief Corps organized events to raise money for disabled veterans and their families, and the Charles F. Bates Camp, Sons of Union Veterans raised money for the care of veterans’ graves in the Hall as well. In addition the Hall witnessed high school recitals and dances, minstrel shows, lectures, debates, liberty loan drives, holiday pageants, auctions, whist parties, suppers and numerous other events. With the passing of Scituate’s last Civil War Veteran, Francis M. Litchfield, in 1936, the hall continued to be managed by the Women’s Relief Corps and the Sons of Union Veterans.
In 1953 the town of Scituate took over the Hall, and for the next twenty years it was used regularly. However, the ravages of time and neglect began to take their toll on the aging structure, and in 1997 the Town sold the building to the Scituate Historical Society.
On July 26, 2008, the refurbished and restored Grand Army Hall reopened for it's one hundred and eighty-third year of use.